Homage to Hans Christian Andersen
In 1866 HC Andersen visited Portugal, which he referred to as ‘the earthly paradise’. During his 3 month stay, he found inspiration for many stories, one of which ‘The Toad’ (original title – Skrubtudsen) has been incorporated into our label. In 1991, we were the first ones to plant Syrah in the Alentejo, choosing rootstock from southern Rhone clones. Today, our range consists of 3 different 100% Syrah varietals. Starting with the entry level is our popular ‘Cortes de Cima Syrah’, which is bottled every vintage. Next, we move up a notch both in concentration and quality, to the mid-level range – ‘Homenagem a Hans Christian Andersen’, bottled in most vintages. We culminate at the top, with our reserve quality labeling, the iconic ‘Incógnito’, only bottled in exceptional years.
Current Vintage: 2010
Vintage 2010 experienced new record-breaking climatic extremes, both in winter rainfall and summer heat. A difficult growing season and harvest due to delayed ripening. Fine harvest weather.
Made exclusively from selected Syrah grapes handpicked at optimum maturity from chosen sites in our own vineyards. Fermented without stems under temperature control, frequent delestage, followed by extended skin maceration to enhance varietal fruit characters, and to provide tannin structure and balance. Aged for 8 months in French and American oak barrels.
Complex aromas of vanilla, tobacco and cigar box. Sweet, meaty, savoury fruit on the palate, finishes with good acidity.
- Vinho regional Alentejano
- 100% Syrah
- Total Acids:
- Final pH:
- Residual Sugars:
- Barrel Ageing:
- 8 months in French and American oak barrels
- Grown, produced and bottled at the family estate
- Bottled in:
- July 2011
- Total production:
- 9.400 bottles
- Release Date:
- November 2012
- Gold Medal (Regional Portugal Trophy)
- - Decanter Asia Wine Awards 2012
- Gold Medal
- – Syrah du Monde 2013
- Silver Medal
- – Intl Wine & Spirit Competition – London 2013
- Gran Menzione
- - Vinitaly 2012
- 92 (Cellar Selection)
- - Wine Enthusiast
- - Wine Spectator
This is perfumed and fruity, with notes of raisins, prunes and bitter chocolate that are supported by solid tannins. - Wine Enthusiast
Interesting for its mix of tobacco and red plum flavors, with notes of cherry pie, followed by cedary accents on the finish. - Wine Spectator
2009 Vintage – 92 (Cellar Selection) – Wine Enthusiast
2009 Vintage – Gold Medal (Top Ten) – Syrah du Monde 2012
2009 Vintage – Silver Medal – Intl Wine & Spirit Competition – UK 2012
2009 Vintage – Silver Medal – International Wine Challenge – London 2012
2008 Vintage – Silver Medal – Intl Wine & Spirit Competition – UK 2010
2008 Vintage – Silver Medal – International Wine Challenge – London 2010
2007 Vintage – Gold Medal – Challenge Intl. du Vin – Bordeaux 2010
Homage to Hans Christian Andersen
Terms & Conditions
- All orders will be confirmed by return e-mail.
- The value for the minimum order is 100.00 Eur.
- Payment must be made by advance check, bank transfer, or paypal upon delivery.
- Prices are inclusive of sales tax (IVA), and delivery charges within Continental Portugal only.
- We only accept orders for Continental Portugal and Portuguese Islands.
- We reserve the right to refuse any order due to availability of stock, or for any other reason, and customers must be over 18 years of age.
Find a store